Preparation: less than 30 mins
Cooking: 10 to 30 mins
- 5 tbsp olive or groundnut oil
5 cardamom pods
5cm/2in piece of cinnamon stick
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
2 tsp garlic, crushed to a pulp
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1g/¼tsp ground turmeric
3-5g/½-1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
1 tbsp bright-red paprika
1 large tomato, very finely chopped
1 tsp tomato purée
1 tsp garam masala
1 quantity tandoori-style chicken
- Put the oil into a large, wide pan and set it over a medium-high heat. When it is very hot, put in the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Stir once, then add the onions. Stir until they begin to turn brown at the edges. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and paprika and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the tandoori-style chicken marinade, 1 tbsp at a time and stir it in so it is absorbed by the spices.
- Add the tomato, tomato purée and garam masala and cook, stirring for a minute. Pour in the water and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Taste for salt, adding about ¾ tsp or as needed.
- Add the cooked chicken and the juices from the baking tray. Raise the heat to high and fold the chicken into the sauce. The sauce should thicken and cling to the chicken pieces.