Sweet Potatoes, Coconut, Mango and Prawns Curry
This tasty dish combines the rich flavours of sweet potato and fresh coconut with sweetness of mango and the complexity of traditional Indian curry powder.
INGREDIENTS: (four servings)
• two tablespoons unsalted butter*
• one onion, diced
• one tablespoon minced garlic
• one tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• three tablespoons Madras curry powder
• half a teaspoon cayenne pepper
• two teaspoons fine sea salt
• two cups fresh coconut milk
• two cups water
• two large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• half a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• twelve large prawns (sixteen jumbo shrimps) shelled and deveined
• one mature green mango, peeled, cut from the pit, and diced
• three tablespoons minced green onion, including green parts.
* You may substitute 'Ghee' or a good olive oil - according to your taste.
1. In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until aromatic, about three minutes.
2. Stir in the ginger, curry powder, cayenne, and the two teaspoons salt.
3. Stir in fresh coconut milk and water.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes.
5. Add the sweet potato and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
6. Season the prawns with the one teaspoon salt and pepper.
7. Add the prawns and mango to the pan, return to a simmer and cook for four to five minutes, or until the prawns are evenly pink.
8. Serve garnished with green onion.