Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Man Sentenced for Attempting to Illegally Import Big Game Leopard Trophy

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information International Wildlife Topics Man Sentenced for Attempting to Illegally Import Big Game Leopard Trophy

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Link to this post 19 Oct 08

Last update: 6:08 p.m. EDT Oct. 17, 2008
WASHINGTON, Oct 17, 2008
PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX

Jerry Mason, of Frankfort, S.D., pleaded guilty today and was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Denver for a false statement he provided to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) in an attempt to illegally import a leopard hide and skull from a trophy hunt in South Africa, the Justice Department announced.

Mason pleaded guilty to a one-count information charging him with a violation of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) enforceable under the Endangered Species Act and Lacey Act. He was sentenced to pay a $10,000 fine as well as a $10,000 community service payment to the congressionally-established National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Mason will forfeit the hide and skull and also was sentenced to a term of 48 months of probation during which time he will not be allowed to hunt or accompany anyone on a hunt anywhere in the world.

According to the plea agreement, Mason traveled to South Africa in August 2002 to hunt leopards while guided by a South African outfitter named Jan Groenewald Swart who was doing business as "Trophy Hunting Safaris." During the hunt, Mason shot and killed a leopard even though he knew at that time neither he nor Swart possessed a valid permit. Because the leopards were killed illegally, Mason was not able to legally obtain a valid CITES export permit from South Africa. In order to import the hides and skulls from the leopards into the United States, Swart purchased fraudulent permits in Zimbabwe, and Mason provided false information to USFWS.

Swart arranged to have the hides smuggled from South Africa into Zimbabwe, where he purchased fraudulent CITES export permits for the leopard hides and skulls. Mason then submitted applications to the USFWS falsely claiming that they hunted and killed the leopards in Zimbabwe. On Nov. 5, 2004, USFWS inspectors seized a shipment of five leopard hides and three leopard skulls at the Denver International Airport, which included the hide and skull of leopards that Mason killed illegally in South Africa in 2002.

Leopards (Panthera pardus) are listed on Appendix I of CITES. CITES requires that prior to the transport of any part of an Appendix I species from one country to another, an export permit from the country of origin (or a re-export certificate), and an import permit from the country to which the specimen will be shipped, must be obtained and accompany the shipment. The CITES authorities in South Africa set a yearly quota on the number of export permits issued by that country for Appendix I species, such as leopards. These permits are only issued for leopards that have been killed with a valid hunting permit.

On May 21, 2007, Swart pleaded guilty to smuggling charges in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado for his role in the illegal hunts. Swart is currently serving an 18-month prison sentence. Mason, along with Wayne D. Breitag of Aberdeen, S.D., was indicted by a federal grand jury on Aug. 6, 2008, for violations of the Lacey Act, a federal wildlife statute.

The investigation of this case was lead by Special Agents of the USFWS. The case is being prosecuted by the Environmental Crimes Section of the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado.

SOURCE U.S. Department of Justice
http://www.USDOJ.gov

It is so good to hear the Good Guys winning!

& well done to the USFWS for their diligence, the Court & the Judge for a proper sentence.

There's one, at last, who got more than the usual slap on the wrist!

Well done all concerned.

I just hope the outcome was made very public as a deterrent!

Thanks Jan it's 5.15am here & you've "Made my day!"

Kipper:

It made my day also when I read it. Unfortunately I haven't seen the article in most of the US papers.

I had hoped that in addition to the two $10.000 fines they would have made him serve some jail time, but at least he can't hunt and he has to do probation.

My hope is that the African nations will also start instituting strong financial punishments and/or jail time to everyone caught poaching, trafficking etc. Until they start getting serious about going after the lawbreakers, wildlife won't stand much of a chance.

Link to this post 29 Nov 08

very good they cought him.

sad he got away with 20.000$!

also sad it was not wide spread news

it's sick altogether.

if you ask me right now: i would say i never return to africa because that's maddening me.

pippa

Link to this post 30 Nov 08

Pippa - not to return to Africa would be a battle lost.... never give up!

Link to this post 30 Nov 08

We must all remember it isn't only in Africa that wildlife laws are insufficient or being thwarted. It happens in all countries, though perhaps to a lesser extent.

In an article here in the papers in the US this past week it stated that President Bush is trying to rush through laws again allowing hunting of wolves and bison (buffalo) before President Elect Obama takes office.
We wiped out all these animals once, and had to purchase some from Canada to bring them back. Now he is willing to have them wiped out again!! Disgusting!

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information International Wildlife Topics Man Sentenced for Attempting to Illegally Import Big Game Leopard Trophy