Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Bodies pile up in Kenya's gang war

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Internal Bodies pile up in Kenya's gang war

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Link to this post 26 Jun 07

June 26 2007 at 03:47PM

By Wangui Kanina and C. Bryson Hull

Nairobi - Kenyan police on Tuesday said they had shot dead at least 25 suspected members of the Mungiki criminal gang since last week, after at least 13 people were killed in a surge of violence blamed on the group.

Thursday's conviction of a former Mungiki leader on weapons charges ended a brief lull in the slaughter.

Fatalities and suspects have piled up quickly since then, in incidents ranging from a grenade attack on a Nairobi bar that killed five, to beheadings with machetes, the discovery of severed heads and genitals, and bloody police retaliation.

Click here!

"It is a pity that our contacts have to be so bloody, but you know these people have sworn an oath that they will never surrender," police spokesperson Eric Kiraithe said.

With President Mwai Kibaki's blessing, Kenya's police have promised to wipe out Mungiki following a series of killings since late March in Nairobi and central Kenya.

Many fear the group plans mayhem during this year's presidential election, expected in late December.

In recent days the police crackdown has intensified.

Police said they shot dead two suspected members as they prepared to rob a bank in the capital Nairobi on Tuesday and another five had been killed over the weekend.

Local media said officers in Thika, about 60km north of the capital, on Monday killed two others and recovered military gear, assault rifles and Ceska pistols - a standard police sidearm in Kenya - at a hideout there.

Kiraithe could not immediately confirm the Thika killings and seizures.

Since declaring war on Mungiki, police have intensified manhunts and carried out a bloody siege on a gang stronghold in early June that killed at least 33 people.

The group rose to prominence in the early 1990s espousing a return to the traditional values of the Kikuyu tribe, Kenya's largest and the backbone of the Mau Mau rebels that fought the British colonial government for independence.

They adopted Mau Mau rituals like taking oaths. But police and experts say they have now evolved into Kenya's biggest criminal mafia with tentacles reaching into politics, where ethnic-based violence has long been an electoral tool.

Human rights groups have accused police of indiscriminate slaughter and of branding any potential criminal a Mungiki member to justify harsh action.

Government officials admit privately Mungiki has connections in the upper spheres of politics and the security apparatus.

Either way, extortion from Kenya's lucrative minibus transport industry and other protection rackets have given it enough money to buy protection in a nation where corruption is a daily fact of life for most people.

what the hell is going on in kenya? should one be worried if one has to stop over in nairobi prior to a visit to the masai mara?
i have never been afraid riding a taxi in nairobi - also at night. but now it seems i should start re-thincking that practise....

what would other bushdrumms suppose? is it wise to drive let's say from the norfolk to a restaurant in westland at night?
please advise....

thanks

From what I hear from someone who has lived in Nairobi all her life, the Mungiki slaying are strictly a Kikuyu thing. However, if the police are going after a gang of Mungiki and you are in the way, I'm sure tribe or nationality won't mean a damn when the bullets fly.

Personally I would not take a cab or matutu around Nairobi at this time. I would be sure to use a hotel van or a safari company vehicle. I think, and hope, you would be a little safer.

Link to this post 27 Jun 07

I wouldn't worry, just apply some common sense and try not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Jan said, it is a tribal matter.

They are not out to kill tourists. Worst case you could become (and here comes my favourite word..) "colateral damage"

Kenya has always suffered a lot of violence when elections where due. It is all about tribes being represented by politicions. Not much to do with tourists.

This has been going on for some time - a good few years only it is out in the news now.
As Carsten suggested - common sense and simply do not place yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I was in Nairobi during the last elections and political rallyies - all International News TV said it was very dangerous - I was there and apart from the odd localised situation; it was all okay.
Simply take care - do not go around with gold jewls etc and do not get yourself in the wrong place.

thanks to all of you...............

oops ELECTION time????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's always a risky period

jan, am i getting you right: you would not take a taxi??? matatu is by far not our means of transport!
what's wrong with a kenatco taxi which is a regular carolla or so. no fancy thing. hotel cab is mostly mercedes and i personally would feel more vulnurable in an expensive car....

jan, also driving after dark is not your cup of tea generally speaking or just now?

now i am really a bit nervous because i would love to go to a nice restaurant instead of being trapped in the hotel

thanks in advance for more clarification in the hope that these calm me down

rgds

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information Internal Bodies pile up in Kenya's gang war