Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Meru National Park - Off the beaten track in Kenya?

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information FAQs for your trip to Africa Meru National Park - Off the beaten track in Kenya?

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Meru National Park - Off the beaten track in Kenya?

Link to this post 19 Mar 09

Hi folks,

I am planning another trip to Africa. In July / August I'm going to visit Kenya. I'm another victim of the African virus and my passion is photography...

During my last Kenyan visits I visited the Mara, Lake Nakuru, Hell's Gate and some coastal areas. For my taste some areas in the Mara were far too packed with people and vehicles, same in Nakuru and I've heard the same about Amboseli. As many of you are real Kenyan experts I'd like to ask you whether you have any "off the beaten track" safari recommendations, where the numbers of other vehicles is still clear and a real wild bush atmosphere can be experienced.

I thought of Tsavo of course. East or West? Which areas? Samburu / Buffalo Springs / Sahaba?
In particular I thought about Meru National Park? Has anybody of you been there during the last 2 or 3 years? Answers would be great!!! Thanks!!!

Link to this post 19 Mar 09

Ciao Tobi -
I am in Rome at the moment and will get back to you with this on my return.
In case I forget - send me a private message and I will fill you in with my ideas on this forum.

Link to this post 20 Mar 09

Thanks Cody,

I'm curious for your response ! If you forget I'll send you a pm!

Link to this post 24 Mar 09

Ciao - I am back after a cracking week end in Rome with Kenya taking the 1st 7 positions in the Rome Marathon - unbelievable .... need to keep on training to get close to them!

Okay - The Tobi Safari....

Tsavo is perhaps the "closer" of the parks to the central part of Kenya where you will find least traffic and tourists. The more north you go - the better is gets as less people go there.

The Mara or Amboseli - although they are wonderful parks and you will be able to get some great snap shots and photography of bird and wildlife - unfortunately you will also be one of many tourists and cars in the park. Tsavo is bigger and has less of the latter. However this is also because the terrain is harder to get around and also there is less animals....
Less animals because in the Mara you are allowed off the road to go and look for wildlife - in other parks this is not allowed. This means that in the Tsavo you may drive next to game but may not spot it!
I am sure Jan will back me up on this. As a kid I loved the Tsavo for the peace and tranquillity and if you have a good eye and do not mind driving you will love the areas.

Going north from the centre - Kora National Reserve and Meru National Park have less visitors and you will enjoy a couple of days here.

More north you start getting a lot less people around Losai and Marsabit. Again less game but great places.

Once you are around the Turkana area - the people are different, the terrain is a lot more wild and you feel that you are in the northern parts of Kenya which is distant from the rest of Kenya and a sensation from the rest of the world.

Unfortunately there is a risk of Muzungus (the foreign people) with cars that can be subject to danger. As a kid this was never the case but as it boarders some hard hit countries - there are Nomads and cattle raiders that do cause trouble at times and I have heard quite a few stories - but this is with added salt and pepper in the stories but do take care on the northern boarders.

Fotography around the lake is fantastic - these parts of Kenya really have to be discovered still as it is far out and many miles drive.
I personally love the area and will go back for sure again... and again....
Lake Turkana area is really wonderful if you want to get away from it all.

Link to this post 25 Mar 09

Thanks a lot Nico for your detailed information!!! I will add Turkana to my itinerary ! But when I visted Kenya in 2007 it was only possible to get there in a convoy of several vehicles...

After all I've read and heard so far Meru and Tsavo National Parks seem to be the best compromise between good game and wild atmosphere. Game seems to recover in Meru and visitor numbers are still very low after the time of banditry and infrastructural collapse in the eighties. I will let you know how it works out ... Of course I liked the Mara and it was good game viewing there, but it was terribly crowded...

One last question: Have you ever been to Samburu?

Link to this post 25 Mar 09

You are most welcome. You will enjoy Meru and the surrounding areas as well I am very sure.
There is a company that has just gone broke in Kenya so I will send you a PM to update you - so you do not loose you money / deposit before you book.
Better be safe than sorry....

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information FAQs for your trip to Africa Meru National Park - Off the beaten track in Kenya?