Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Transfering tarantula can be hard sometimes

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Movies/Videos of East Africa Transfering tarantula can be hard sometimes

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Transfering tarantula can be hard sometimes

Link to this post 15 Jun 08

Hi Folks,

this video was made 2 year's ago. This specimen had escaped of its container one week ago, and after a few days of research I was disappointed to find no trace of the specimen. This species, Poecilotheria miranda, is one of the rarest of this genus found in captivity especially 2 year's ago and worth a lot. That is not the main reason why I was attached to this specimen, also because it is a real beauty.

One week later after work I check a bottle that was on the table for a few days without capsule on it and saw a tarantula shadow inside ... I found it!!! After jumping everywhere, I started thinking about a way to get the spider out of it. There was not many option:

- Take it out with a stick : Bad idea ... I risk to injure and upset the spider, who know how this will finish.

- Cut the container : I needed it, really.

- The last option is the one I used : Drop water in the container, being careful not to drop the water on the spider, which is why I am careful that the spider is on the side of my hand so it receive nothing on it. After, I approach slowly the water to touch its back leg, the spider will want to avoid the water, and go forward.

So this is what I did. That said, this species possess one of the strongest venom of all tarantula, and they are very nervous, a bite is extremely painful, and dangerous if bitten on the neck or head because of the swelling which will cause a hard time breathing.

That said, sometimes, things aint going like supposed, as we see on the video.

http://s97.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/BaboonSpider/efd46c66.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

That is a picture taken few days before the escape and video
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/BaboonSpider/Indian%20species/Poecilotheria%20genus/miranda/contestfinal.jpg[/IMG]

Excellent CedrikG, excellent!

I have a container by the workshop for parts delivery, my usual delivery person is a girl & she hates it. She calls it the "Spider Box" due to all the webs & creatures lurking there!

Cedrik:

You are far more patient and understanding than I would have been. I would have first tried drowning the son of a gun, capping the bottle so it got no air or if that didn't work squashed it underfoot (and I'm usually for preserving life).

I presume you live alone?! I can't imagine a mother or wife putting up with all the creepy crawlies in the house!

I do admire you though for your love and caring of the species.

Link to this post 17 Jun 08

GREATTTTTTT -

Cedrik it is good to come back to my office after a trip (look a if I am doing some work) and log onto Bushdrums and get your updates. I am sure Jan and Irma would have loved to watch that a couple of time - a spider walking around your head....

Good going!! Asante sana.

Link to this post 18 Jun 08

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the comment. Yes Jan, I am very patient with these awesome creatures, but sometimes, they can push a little to much ;) They really can be like a young child that don't want to go to bed, simply uncontrollable by theie speed and unpredictable behavior!

As for killing it, to me, theres no difference from a spider to a lion, elephant, or human. We are all living creature, and no one deserve to die because of its apparency, or myth related to it. But I knew this is not what you really wanted to mean

I am sorry Nico I am not sure to understand what you mean, my English give me a hard time here!

Link to this post 18 Jun 08

Don't worry Cédrik, we all have our problems understanding Nico

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information Movies/Videos of East Africa Transfering tarantula can be hard sometimes