Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Uganda and Ebola

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Health Matters Uganda and Ebola

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Uganda and Ebola

Link to this post 08 Dec 07

If anyone is considering a trip into Uganda to view the gorillas, or for any other reason, please be aware that there has been an outbreak of EBOLA in Uganda which is deadly and spreading. I have posted several articles about it and will try to keep this updated. It might be worth checking with your local health authorities as to whether or not you should risk your trip.

If you decide to make the trip, they are advisting not to shake anyone's hands - just wave instead. Do not under any circumstance eat anything that might be bushmeat. Also be sure to get trip insurance before leaving your home country which would include medical evacuation coverage should it be needed.

Link to this post 09 Dec 07

Hello Jan,
I think this warning is a bit too harsh or at least too general. According to my knowledge, the outbreaks are mainly in the Bundibugyo district near the DR Congo border. Also, ebola is not passed on through a simple handshake, it requires blood or body fluid contact with an infected person.

These mysterious diseases like ebola and Rift Valley Fever have always been around with various outbreaks every now and then. If you were to avoid the whole country each time, you probably never end up going there.

I am not a doctor and can not guarantee for what I am saying, but I suggest to inform yourself very well about the places ebola was registered, the symptoms (for immediate treatment in case you get it), and what exactly you have to do to avoid infection.

Please see the article from CDC which I published in the news section [URL=http://www.bushdrums.com/news/index.php?shownews=1305]Ebola Outrbreak in the District of Bundibugyo[/URL]

Carsten:

The handshake was not my idea - it came from President Museveni himself. Though ebola is indeed spread by body fluids. keep in mind even the doctors and nurses don't have gloves or protective gear and you can be sure those family members taking care of an ill relative don't either. Some doctors have already died. Articles in the news state that people in the ebola area are fleeing to other areas which is the worst thing that could happen.

Apparently from what I've read thusfar, this ebola strain is a different one from those in the past. Some people have "recovered" which makes one wonder if perhaps the diagnosing of this was indeed correct or is it a new strain?

Also, "as the country grapples with the deadly Ebola outbreak in western Uganda, medics are struggling to contain a rising spate of meningitis and bubonic plague in West Nile, cholera in Hoima and Buliisa, and yellow fever in the northern district of Kitgum".

There are enough extremely serious illnesses going on within the country that people should be forewarned, and then make an educated decision as to whether to continue with their trips.

I just posted the CDC information. They are not recommending cancelling trips. Just using care. They state risk is low for tourists.

Original von Jan
I just posted the CDC information...

... and I deleted your post again because I already posted it