Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Trip Planning Problems

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Trip Planning Problems

Link to this post 09 Jun 07

Hello again,
Because of a nightmarish job I’ve been away from Bushdrums for a while. Though I’ve had a look or two at the wildlife news provided by bushdrummers. Now there’s only 1 week left of my job and on 20 June I leave for Kenya. I know this isn’t really a trip planning website, but I’m a bit short of time, so I’ll ask if anyone has any ideas.

I’m staying 2 nights in Nairobi at Hotel Terminal. It’s not yet booked and if anyone has a better idea I’d love to hear it. Then I’m going to the Mara for 6 nights with Bushbuck Adventures staying at Bushbuck Camp. And then, I don’t know … I’d prefer to go to some park that I haven’t visited, but that’d be too expensive. I’m thinking about Lake Naivasha and Fisherman’s Camp. Does anyone know how much a single banda with bathroom would be? Any better ideas? I’m not a beach person so I’m not going to the coast. What’s the least expensive way of staying at a place with fabulous wildlife having a nice shower and a good mirror? I’ve been posting about this on Fodor’s where posters are extremely funny and helpful, but almost exclusively seriously wealthy lawyers. Here’s my [URL=http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4&tid=34944877]thread.[/URL]

Thanks

Link to this post 09 Jun 07

Hello Nyamera and welcome back. Sorry to hear about your life and job being a nightmare.

What is your definition of cheap accommodation?

Did you check out the website of KWS? Most of the National Park Gates have bandas that you can rent. I don't know if this is your kind of thing but it is definately cheaper than the lodges and still has most of the infrastructure because the game-wardens live there.

What about [URL=http://www.bushdrums.com/news/index.php?shownews=184]Kitani Safari Lodge and Bandas[/URL] ?

You might also want to ask sunworld-safaris ([URL=http://www.sunworld-safari.com]www.sunworld-safari.com[/URL] )

I am sure you will find some more suggestions soon.

Link to this post 10 Jun 07

Thanks, Carsten! Kitani Bandas look very interesting, but I wouldn’t know how to get there and how to do game drives. It’s the same with the KWS bandas that would be perfect having a vehicle. Maybe I could email Severin and ask them if you can go on game drives with vehicles from Severin Camp while staying at Kitani Bandas and if they could pick me up from somewhere where I could go by public transport. My definition of cheap accommodation is “a lot less than what\'s normal in parks and reserves”. The park fees and game drives will make it expensive anyway. Outside parks the definition is “around 1000 shillings”.

Let tomorrow come and see if any of our members (especially the tour-operators) can offer some kind of transport that suits your budget.

Getting in touch with Severin is also not a bad idea.

Going on safari without your own vehicle is always a bit difficult but you shouldn't worry about getting lost or driving skills. Taking a good map and driving during the day should keep you safe. Maybe you can find a cheap car?

Does cheap car rental really exist? Anyway, I do worry about driving skills and other things. As I really shouldn’t be going to Kenya at all I’ll probably just hang around Lake Naivasha where I haven’t been. Or, just in case it’s my last trip to Kenya I might decide that I have to spend more time in parks.

Does anyone know anything about Marina Cottages in Naivasha?

Does cheap car rental really exist?

Probably not, good point.

Don't know Marina Cottages I am afraid. I know the Lake Elementaita Lodge which is really nice but I guess, it is above your budget.