Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Welcome back Jan

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Welcome back Jan

Link to this post 03 Mar 10

Hi Pippa:

I agree with you 100%. Over many years Kenya has had the best wildlife policies.

However, they have had to fight tooth and nail to retain those policies. It seems almost every year
someone tries to push through the idea of sport hunting. So far KWS, and I suppose some of the
politicians also, have been able to withhold the ban.

It does have its problems. Foremost is the totally corrupt politicians. The people of Kenya
deserve much better than they have.

A real concern is the huge proliferation of camps/lodges cutting off even more land that could be used by wildlife. Another frustrating thing is the chronic problem of cattle in the parks. I realize that in many cases KWS has its hand tied because a lot of the politicians own the cattle. When KWS chases them out of the park it is only is poor herder that gets fined, not the politician owner. And then the politicians harrass KWS to let the poor cattle stay in the park as they can't find food anywhere else.

Unfortunately all the money we pay as tourists in park fees don't go directly into the KWS coffers for
wildlife conservation. Some of it ends up in the general funds the politicians use for other things. Thus KWS is also short of funds to carry out things they may wish to do.

But all in all, even with the problems, most Kenyans realize how important their wlldlife is to be passed down for future generations and the majority of them do care. It is only those we consider barbaric
who hunt for ivory, spear, poison lions etc.

Since the government hasn't yet figured out that China will end up owning everything in Kenya, the more Chinese that come - the more wildlife problems will arise. But that is true all over Africa.

One of the best wildlife conservations group in the entire world is the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, run by Dame Daphne Sheldrick. Not only do they do everything possible to save orphaned elephants and rhinos, but they also work closely with the communities, have desnaring teams, veterinary teams, assist KWS in purchasing fuel and parts for planes and vehicles, etc. No-one does a better job than the Trust.

I'm so glad you are starting to see the tremendously positive side of Kenya. Yes, it has its problems,
but what country doesn't. With more supportive people like you, it can only help Kenya to go forward.

Jan

I am really deeply impressed what those guys in the Mara North Conservancy are doing! It's a titally new approach to how to get the Massai landowners into their boot!

They don't pay all concervancy fees to a handful of people who then are supposed to share it with all the others - like the Narok Council where 92 % of the reserve fee simply disappeared in 2008.

The camp owners pay to 920 single land owners the lease fee. So each and every landowner participats directly and therefore these landowners feel immediate they are profiting from wildlife!

There is more to come like grazing fees - if one landowner has more lifestock than agreed on when leasing the land to the conservancy.

I spoke to several young Massai guides - employed by the camps - who are extremely knowledgeable regarding conservation and what effort it takes to convince the elderly Massai. They are well educated. Know about politics. We were extremely impressed. It's much better for the elderlys when they get money for education of their children in order to take care of them later when they are lawyers, teachers, businessmen than buy lifestock, let the children heard and the next drought again destroys their lifestock wealth.

When mit comes the the Mara ecosytstem - the Mara North Conservancy will be the place to stay.

That young generation is my hope - and the hope for all Kenyans.

Great news to hear. If it continues to work well there, perhaps other areas will also try it and be
successful.

Link to this post 05 Mar 10

Good to have you back Pippa although my presence is of no record either.
I am off this week end to California for a short visit and then back again for the Rome Marathon so I have been super busy... what changes.

I am really happy that slowly your mind has changed with regards to Kenya with all the problems that such a wonderful country carries.

Good to have you all back again -

Link to this post 05 Mar 10

Thank you Cody! Yes - ranting has faded.....finally

Safe travels and many happy landings!

Ypur plans sound sound