Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
New bushdrummer has questions that need answers. Please join in with answers

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Eco-Tourism in Practice New bushdrummer has questions that need answers. Please join in with answers

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

New bushdrummer has questions that need answers. Please join in with answers

Link to this post 08 Jan 10

I have just received a PM from a new member asking for information. I hope all you regular bushdrummers will come to this young person's aid by suggesting information/answers he/she could use about ecotourism for a school paper. He/she asks:

Ive just read your comment on eco tourism in kenya and I have a simple nice question, could I use your comment in my work for school?

I would be very thankful.

and even more, do you have any opinion about this topic? cause im very interested in it. but im not very involved in this as Im not from kenya.
If u know sth more about it, i would like to give you several questions, please, be so kind and answer them

what do you think:
how does overcrowded safari affect wildlife and nature?
do you think that properly organized tourism can protect nature and wildlife?
what kinds of tourism can be considered as nature-friendly?
can eco safari limit damages made on wildlife and nature? and how?
Can be eco safari considered as the way how to preserve nature?

thank you so much for your time

Although not a visitor to Kenya but a regular visitor to Zimbabwe & Botswana, I'll certainly add my thoughts for you.

Watch this space!

ok, thanx, and ...Im she The She! wish u so many happy days....

Link to this post 09 Jan 10

not wanting to write a paper in answer to these questions I have kept my answers brief.

(Q) how does overcrowded safari affect wildlife and nature?
(A) Noise polution, air pollution, litter, detriment to landscape, prevents natural inter reaction amongst animals.

(Q) do you think that properly organized tourism can protect nature and wildlife?
(A) Yes

(Q) what kinds of tourism can be considered as nature-friendly?
(A) All well planned low impact tourism.

(Q) can eco safari limit damages made on wildlife and nature? and how?
(A) Yes! Carefully sited, Minimal build lodges using bare minimum of materials without luxury. Solar cooking & heating. Non intrusive game drives

(Q) Can be eco safari considered as the way how to preserve nature?
(A) It is one way to help to preserve nature, unfortunately everything in the modern world must pay it’s way & tourism is a way to pay to preserve the natural world.

I abhore the excessive use of timber for decking, walkways & the such along with the generators heaters baths linen napkins & the such. The timber requires the death of trees. Luxury is to the cost of the enviorment with materials & polution for washing heating & the like leading to contamination of water courses. We should leave our western world life style at home.

Money from tourism used wisely can benefit local communities showing them the benefits of thier surrounds as well as our presence being a deterent to poaching & the misuse of resources.

Link to this post 10 Jan 10

Mirushaa:

(Q) How does overcrowded safari affect wildlife and nature?
Most of us have often seen 20 - 30 safari vehicles surrounding one small family of cheetah
or lions. Cheetah usually hunt during the day, and if they are boxed in by many safari
vehicles they can't hunt and therefore can't feed their families.

Unfortunately many first-time safari goers are determined to see lions at all cost and will
attempt to bribe a driver to drive off-road (which is illegal in most parks or rerserves), thus
degrading the soils, bushes, plants even further.

Many vehicles refuse to leave enough room between them when large groups of
elephants are trying to cross the road, thus causing the elephants to go out of their
way to cross.

One of the things that really bothers me is all the lodges/camps that insist on putting in swimming pools,
plunge pools and spas. Particularly those in arid areas such as Tsavo and Samburu shouldn't be allowed. Water is in such short supply that it should be conserved for wildlife and the people who live permanently in those areas.

I hope Cody, Simba and Pippa will also jump in on this as I'm sure they will also have ideas that might be useful to you.
- Edited by Jan on 10.01.2010, 17:21 -

Link to this post 10 Jan 10

Hello Mirushaa,

Eco tourism is the only way forward with companies and political powers that are able to implement and control our wildife in order to protect the future of what we still have left. The above questions have been answered well and I agree with what has ben stated.

Some time back - I wrote an article about the changes in the Kimana Amboseli area on how felt when I was sentthere to work on a project... this little story will give you a basic idea.

Kindly note - the article has a copyright; feel free to use however all references must be related to (C) - Bushdrums.com

Amboseli & Kimana

A “moment”, before driving towards an open zoo....

Like curtains slowly drawn, the cool evening winds gradually separated the fluffed cotton clouds, presenting crystal white glaziers and a smooth snow caped mountain joined to a variety of shaded green forests of its piedmonts.
The sun’s rays where reflecting off the cumulus nimbus clouds increasing the angel of brightness which lit the most magnificent backdrop of Africa dominating the vast plains of Amboseli and Serengeti, Kilimanjaro emerged.

I stood, arms crossed, shoulders and head out of the open hatched roof of our 4 x 4 van leaning against the cold metal frame as I had done many times since my youth, however this time it felt different, it was different.
Nicholas cut the diesel engine whilst the crunch of the van’s rubber tyres displacing sharp small fragments of rocks echoed across the plains; we slowly rolled to a halt.
I soaked in the silence that only the African bush can provide and gradually changed the direction of my gaze towards her stare.
Her fine and silken hair, the colour of brown autumn oak leaves was drawn rigorously back exposing a slim white long neck yet to be caressed by the sun.
Her eyes were brown, steady and serious. Near the corner of each eye, her cheeks were shot with freckles of tawny brown and gold, their colour intensified by the extreme rays of the mid afternoon tropical sun which had lashed out on her exposed skin.
She stood there dreamingly and content looking out towards the swamps and clusters of dried long grass that had survived another rainless season. She lifted her right hand and elegantly pointed with her index finger towards the edge of the grass timidly noticing my gaze, understanding that we were sharing the same moment.
Lying on one side with its monstrous yet graceful legs crossed, exposing the wheat yellow and white colour of its bloated belly, this magnificent animal was enjoying the final hour of the day soaking up the warmth from the sun baked sand. His tail oddly twitched in annoyance sensing our presence.
On my left, appearing from the inside of the van, five large extended manicured fingers gripped the metal frame pulling himself up from his seat, his bulky tensed muscular forearm aiding in lifting two defined shoulders and a powerful frame. Erwin, a young bright professor full of energy and ideas instantly understood the moment and quietly leaned back to enjoy and feast on this spectacle created by nature. A poetic dream that attracts all religions and colours from various parts of the globe to catch a glimpse of this lustrous beauty that for now is still possible to experience.
“I wonder if they were brought here?” a voice below with a hint of on a American accent, gently whispered perhaps not to disturb the splendid animal that was resting 15 meters away, however more for containing the silent tranquil atmosphere that had been subconsciously created amongst our selves.
“I heard that there were no more lions in Amboseli a number of years back, maybe they have been re introduced in the park!” Erwin answered without an indication of surprise to the question. He, Isabel and Randy, all three extremely aware of the future had come down this road before and were showing me the drastic consequences that had occurred over the resent years in these local areas.
The lion lifted his head, supported by its muscular broad powerful neck covered by a long coppery brown sun bleached mane, stared passed our position into the vast expanse in the distance.
Following his gaze, I thought I spotted a dust devil, a miniature twister renowned in these areas however to my absolute disappointment I counted seven four wheel drive vehicles hastily making their way towards us lifting the dust as they advanced. The bush drums were sounding and all drivers knew where the main attraction of the park was hiding. An increase in tips and backhanders from his eager passengers, if he can produce the King of the Jungle before sun set.
“Just as well that the manager of the lodge mentioned that this current tourist period is low season! In high season they would have over 120 vehicles roaming around 20 x 20 kilometres of national park; perhaps it will be called Amboseli open zoo in the future!” I sarcastically thought to myself.
“Shall we move on?” commanded Randy from below.
“Nicholas, twende!” I reaped in Swahili. “Let’s move on…..” asking him to proceed with our journey towards Ol Tukai lodge however personally implying that we must progress and attempt to make a difference if we do not desire for such spectacular and memorable “moments” to vanish……

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information Eco-Tourism in Practice New bushdrummer has questions that need answers. Please join in with answers