Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Bushdrummers - safaris and trips of the past

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information FAQs for your trip to Africa Bushdrummers - safaris and trips of the past

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Bushdrummers - safaris and trips of the past

Link to this post 27 Oct 09

Part II - continued

The sun invaded the plains of the Masai Mara and the crisp fresh morning coolness vanished as we drove over the crest of the last hill that separated the Mara river and our Land Cruiser. Charles gently slowed KC and found an opening amongst the thicket of young thorn trees and wild olives. A life time of living in the African bush and understanding the moment and exhibit that he was about to reveal to us was conducted like a true noble maestro ready to open the Bordeaux velvet curtains of perhaps one of the most sought after wildlife experiences that all documentary directors, amateur and professional photographers dream of capturing.
He brought KC to a gentle halt and switched off the engine –

No words can be written to describe the scene that was presented for our eyes to feed and indulge on. Surely William Shakespeare would have added an 8th part to life in “All the world’s a stage” – from “As you like it”. I am sure if he would have had the opportunity to experience this wildlife wonder of the world – he would have perhaps added a version between fifth and sixth age where man has experienced living and life to understand that we are just dancing dwarfs with no significance in a marvellous world of many creations.

The orchestra had gone wild, free Jazz comes to mind where every instrument truck is done free, at random by the musicians playing their individual chosen chords however still part of a very organised and disciplined orchestra.
The sound was intense and incredible, thousands of hooves, no… millions of hooves stampeding the dry grasslands and terrain, running south, towards the Mara river. Perhaps the closest human similarity that could be used to describe this act but not compared to the display was the attempted capture of Rome by the great respected General Hannibal when he galloped passed Tuoro with 10000 strong, armed blood thirsty soldiers on horse back before his mighty force got defeated and he in turn decapitated.

Hundred of thousands of dark grey wildebeests and zebra running together as they have done for millennia. A massive moving river of wildlife that spread from the far left of the horizon to the far right as far as the naked eye could see, raising dust that would take hours to settle, all running for a common goal – survival.

Emotionally moved by this wonderful creation of life, we jolted down the hill towards the dark living meandering river. Lady Cody was sitting on the roof of KC in complete amazement. Her studies and books at university to become a vet did not prepare her for such a confrontation with the animal kingdom. Her shouts of joy were swallowed by the thunderous hoofs crushing the ground, the yelping and barking of the zebras and mmuuhhmm… mmuuhhmm.. of the wildebeest. However chiselled in my memory remains the look of her dark emerald green eyes speckled with shades of cornflour blue sapphire which spoke of happiness, delight and bliss. She had just been bitten by the African bug….

To be continued...

(c) bushdrums 2009

Link to this post 28 Oct 09

Tension grows and grows . You should write books, honestly!

I've never seen the migration and it's definitely a big wish of mine to do one day!!!

Link to this post 28 Oct 09

Cody - thanks so much for this latest installment...reminds me of all the emotions i felt when seeing the beginning of the migration in '97 while on horseback just outside the park. Your writing style is superb!

IN VINO VERITAS!

Link to this post 31 Oct 09

Kat
The snake "safaris" sound very appealing! As I cannot make it to the coast - is there something similar in/close to Samburu or the MM?

Link to this post 02 Nov 09

Pippa: I submitted three responses to your inquiry but all three times it was rejected saying "no posting on this board is permitted." I'm going to try again, and if it is ok....I will write in detail about "snake safaris" in Kenya.

Link to this post 02 Nov 09

Pippa: OK, the computer glitch is resolved, thank goodness.

Bio-Ken Snake Farm gives the only completely outfitted "Snake Safaris" that I know of in Kenya. The 12-day safari starts in Nairobi and travels to Lake Naivasha and other parts of the Rift Valley, then, on to the Mara and ultimately to their home-base in Watamu on the coast.

Not sure what you mean by you "not being able to travel to the coast"? I avoid the crowds and crime of Mombasa but I like some of the smaller villages - Watamu, Malindi and Lamu. The Swahili culture is very interesting and the coastal forests have a very different wildlife experience to offer - The Arabuko Sokote Forest is the last large remaining chunk of forested coastlines with beautiful birds and animals seen no where else in Kenya. And, although no longer a "bathing beauty" (ha!)...I do love to walk the soft, white sands at dusk and dawn.

Of course, the "snake men" of Kenya were and are attracted to the large variety and numbers of snake and other reptile species found on the coast.

I've heard the Bio-Ken safaris are very well done...and of course, they know where the different species hang out - many snakes are territorial. I'd very much like to take this safari one day but as I usually travel alone...it's difficult to attach myself to a group.

I'm sure it's possible that they would tailor the safari to your personal desires. Please check out their website for further information. (They do have shorter trips, but they are closer to their base in Watamu).
www.bio-ken.com/safaris.htm

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information FAQs for your trip to Africa Bushdrummers - safaris and trips of the past